Thursday, November 15, 2012

Earthquake

I can't believe that I was so focused on our assignments in Yakutat and then reporting them, that I forgot a most heart leaping into my throat experience.

Diane was studying at the kitchen counter on Monday and I was on the couch watching something on TV.  We had experienced that John's clothes dryer would vibrate quite uncontrollably while we were in the Red Roof Inn in Yakutat.  But we ignored it as you do.  But out of the blue, the furniture we were sitting on began to shake and wiggle.  It lasted for about 15 seconds.  We both recognized that were experiencing an earthquake.  We found out that it actually registered 6.4 or 6.5 on the Richter scale.  It occurred about 20 miles outside of the bay where we were located, and approximately 37 miles below the surface.  There were no Tsunami warnings.  It had been a "typical" earthquake and the locals say they happen all the time.  It was exciting though....for a bit.

No comments:

Post a Comment