Sunday, June 30, 2013

June Offered Treasures

There are a few times in our lives when we are treated with a view of the happenings of mother nature that are not all that common.  Such was my privileged view on Tuesday.  I had hoped to spend a couple of hours out on the outer side of Douglas Island trying again for another feel of a King Salmon on the end of my line.  As I was casting, I noticed to my left the plumes of water and vapor that are a familiar sign when Humpback whales break the surface of the ocean to grasp another gulp of air that will go with them to their lower than surface feeding areas.  But there were many plumes appearing about 2 miles to my left.  They rather quickly made their way to the open water in front of my fruitless casts. 

The reason I mention this is because it turned into what is called bubble net feeding.  The whales in a team effort seem to circle the krill and by releasing bubbles in a controlled manner keep the krill bunched and moving toward the surface.  The whales work their way to the surface and all seem to blossom from the water together rising 10 to 15 feet out of the water.  More often than not there is one in the center that seems to be the stamen of the bubble feeding flower like formation the whales make.  It slides above the surface of the water even 20-30 feet.  The entire pod then takes a few breaths of air.  You can hear the whoosh of air as they expel it prior breathing in.  Occasionally you can hear a whale cry out.  There were a couple of tourist boats in the area and before long they were joined with ten more tourist boats anxious to see what was happening several hundred yards away from me.  This went on in front of me for over an hour.  I witnessed this great happening of nature over a dozen times before they moved out to sea further than I could easily witness it any longer.

My body was reacting to the event.  I found my heart to be racing and my breaths were a bit faster.   I was watching the seagulls as they would give away the point of the next place the whales would break the surface by flying in a group over the krill that were being driven towards the surface by the whales.  When it was finished, I rushed back home to put my media card in the computer.  I was anxious to see if I had any pictures worth saving.   I wish I had thought to turn on the movie feature. 

Our lessons this week were on the doctrines of Baptism and the Gift of the Holy Ghost.  What I enjoyed teaching the most was the difference between the Gift of the Light of Christ and the Gift of the Holy Ghost.  It finally came down to the roles and purposes of these two wonderful spiritual gifts.  All men are given the gift of the light of Christ when they are born.  In short we learned that this gift can be considered the gift of conscience.  The gift and purpose of the Holy Ghost is to reveal, to teach, and to comfort.  How wonderful both gifts are and they are available for our use through the principle of obedience.  The light of Christ stays with us throughout our life unless we purposefully extinguish that light because of a lack of faith or disobedience.  The Holy Ghost can come upon anyone earnest and sincere of purpose and in need.  The Gift of the Holy Ghost is given to those who exercise the principles of the gospel; faith in the Lord Jesus Christ, Repentance and Baptism.  That gift is then given by one having authority by the laying on of hands.  It is ours to have throughout our life.  And once again it will be with us on the conditions of obedience. 

These principles seem simple, and they are.  And they are true.  And they provide for wonderful gospel discussions. 

The Thursday class discussion was on the third missionary journey of Paul and how men's ways are not God's ways and that God accomplishes His will through simple things.  He surely does, as things don't get much more simple than me.

Our YSA branch has the assignment of cleaning the building each Friday for the three summer months.  We cooked pancakes for all those that came this week.  We had a huge crowd.  Unfortunately it was a lot like the story of the little Red Hen.  Most visited until the work was done and then eagerly got in line for the pancakes or they played basketball and then volleyball.


The gospel of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day-Saints is true.  How I enjoy telling others I know that.  And to be able to teach the principles and doctrines of the gospel from the scriptures is a blessing for me. 

 Above A. J. Collins and Justin Brinkman are cooking the pancakes.  In the middle Claressa Ullmyer and Marie Holden are enjoying the pancakes.  And on the left Marie, Ian Tracey and Bryce Shurtliff are making quick work of our 7 lbs. of Krusteaz mix. 

No comments:

Post a Comment