Thursday, May 16, 2013

Zone Conference Week

Elder W. Craig Zwick, 1st Quorum of the Seventy, and his wife, came to Juneau Monday.  They were beginning a tour of the Anchorage, Alaska mission.  We actually didn't see him until Tuesday.  Diane and I spent Tuesday morning in a missionary zone conference where we were taught by them both.  As we were introduced he mentioned that he seemed to know me from somewhere and asked if we had met before.  I told him that it had been with the Mormon Tabernacle choir and he recalled that we had met.  He is a wonderful teacher.  That evening he had a meeting with the stake leaders of all the auxiliaries and the missionaries of our zone. He set forth a few things that need to take place in the ward and branch counsels in regards to missionary work.  He promised that if these things would happen, the stake would grow quickly to a size that would require a stake division.  He also promised that it would happen again quickly.  It was a very special and rich meeting. 

Two of the young people who have been attending the missionary preparation class on Sundays received their mission calls this week.  Josh and Vili Tupou had hoped they would be called to Tonga.  However, they are both excited that one twin will be serving in Honduras, and the other in Guatemala. 

Diane is busily preparing certificates of completion and graduation for our seminary graduation which is coming up next Thursday.  We received them from the CES offices in Palmer, and Diane quickly got them ready over the weekend to put into the mail to each of our outlying branches and wards. 

Sunday I made a run downtown to pick up some of the new YSA members for the Sunday meeting block.  When I returned them back to their apartment I made sure they understood the bus system so they could get back and forth to the church that way. 

Preparing for this week's Institute class was a treat for me.  We are studying Doctrines of the Gospel.  The lesson was on God the Father and on Jesus the Christ.  The young people seemed to enjoy going into depth on their Heavenly Father and on their Savior.  We had over 20 attend this week.  These were the ones who were able to get away from their work schedules.  There is another 20 or so out there that could come if their work schedules would allow.  This week the tour ships have been showing up as many as 4 in a single day.  If you consider that these ships each bring approximately 1500 to 2000 tourists into town, and some even more,  you can imagine the bustle happening in downtown Juneau. 

How I am enjoying the time I spend in the scriptures.  I am experiencing what is described in the Book of Mormon by Alma as we try to exercise faith.  That we exercise our Faith as a seed and encourage it to grow by feeding it.  I am so thankful for my knowledge of the plan of our Heavenly Father.  I appreciate the Savior for providing a way to return to my Heavenly Father. 

It was a wonderful week to watch our children call their mother and express to her their love and appreciation for her efforts in their behalf.  Flowers and gifts have been arriving in the mail in addition to Skype phone calls.  She has been a wonderful mother.  I was able to speak with my mother as well.  She is special to me and I am so fortunate and blessed to be able to still express that to her even though it is from a distance by phone. 

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete