Thursday, November 21, 2013

Slow In Coming, But Serious Snow Now

We said our 'Good-Byes' to Emmilyanne Lohrey last week.  She checked into the MTC on Wednesday. 

And winter arrived with a power play this week.  First of all the temperatures dropped into the low teens along with the wind.  And then this morning we woke up to this.  It is expected another 10 inches will fall during the day.  The oil lines in the church house boilers had frozen.  Condensation in the lines pretty much shuts down the heat.  We held seminary and Institute yesterday with the rooms in the high 40s and low 50s.  The heat was back on this morning.  The lines were drawn from the oil tanks, thawed out and replaced. 

The bald eagles have returned.  I missed them these past two months.  They went up to Haynes for the last remnants of the salmon runs.  The food source quit there and they have returned here.

The Book of Revelations has proved to be an interesting and fascinating discussion the past two weeks.  And we only progressed through 12 chapters during that time.  The fascinating part is finally, through lots of prayer and study, I am understanding it.  It is a challenge to guide those who attend correctly.  I have had to study hard to get as many answers as I can.  There are still questions, but it is clearer to me now. 

The Words of Mormon and Mosiah were our focus last night as we huddled in the Relief Society room for Institute.  The Primary room, where we usually meet was less than 40 degrees in temperature.  As we studied the teachings of King Benjamin I couldn't help but wish we had leaders like him at the heads of our world's nations today. 

We are enjoying the Brinkerhoffs.  They are the Family Search records preservation missionaries.  Last week we went out to dinner with them, ending up in a pizza joint that wasn't bad.  We also went up to Mendenhall Glacier with them and picked up a DVD on the creation and melting of the glaciers.  And gas is less than $4.00 a gallon for the first time since arriving in Alaska.  We have been paying $4.27 and this week it is $3.99.


This Is Elder Marshall Sargent.  He has arrived in Gilbert, Arizona to serve two years as a missionary for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day-Saints.  We enjoyed working with him since we have been here in Juneau.  We know the people of Gilbert are going to love him.  I hope he loves the dry heat.

And below is a picture of the ice caves that develop in the Mendenhall Glacier.  I have been invited to go see them several times but have not taken the opportunity.  Those things always collapse at some time.  I don't want to see that.

1 comment:

  1. Wow! Did you take that picture of the ice caves? I'm trying to picture where that would be since we did see Mendenhall Glacier.

    I hope you're able to keep warm enough. It would be interesting to read what you learned from reading The Book of Revelations. I've muddled through it trying to find what the brethren are talking about, but tired before I found it. I hate to admit it, but I'll wait for the movie, I guess. ;=) That's not true. I'll try again, I'm sure.

    I hope all is well with you and Diane. Love, Connie

    ReplyDelete