Sunday, October 28, 2012

Stake Conference

Members outside of Juneau make a big effort when they attend Stake Conference. They come in from Whitehorse, Canada, Yakutat, Petersburgh, Craig, Wrangell, Haines, Skagway, all of the beautiful places that we have visited or will be visiting in the near future.  These are strong people, with strong testimonies. They are loving and very diverse.
During last evening's adult session an earthquake occurred in the south of our stake. There was some concern shown by our stake president as he was up and down from the stand keeping in touch with the church's emergency people. There was some concern there would be a tsunami, but that really didn't happen.

The first picture I just wanted to play with my effects selection.  I thought it was worth a look.  The Mendenhall Glacier is quite close to us. I can drive to it in about 25 minutes. We have had three wonderful days of sun. Thursday we had been invited near there for dinner by the Schlechters. I noticed the wonderful colors in the 'magic hour' as my brother Paul calls it. So last evening I drove up with the express purpose to take pictures as the sun made it's quiet exit. I actually took a picture every minute. I have chosen four of the best to include here. The lake is no longer exhibiting calved icebergs. The surface is completely frozen over.
The waterfall I took pictures of earlier in the year is now a wall of ice. It is fun to stand on the lake side and listen to the cracking that occurs. I would hear a crack like July 4th poppers quite often. And every once in a while the ice would crack like lightening. You could hear it meander across the ice quickly leaving a scar or crack. And sometimes it just sounded like metallic popcorn. It was enchanting.

This is actually a camping area with picnic tables and a covered fireplace area. There were a few residents walking their dogs in the area.  I didn't test it, but I think the ice was thick enough to have held me had I walked on it.




 
                                                   

1 comment:

  1. Very nice pics. I ended up buying the same camera. I just don't have the scenery here to use it like you. Love reading about your days.
    Love you guys
    Bruce

    ReplyDelete