Saturday, August 11, 2012

Day 6

I walked into a guitar shop in Provo on Center Street.  I have decided to take a guitar with me to Juneau.  There on the workbench, among the tools used for making guitars, was a baby in a basket, unattended and sound asleep.  What a beautiful sight that was to me. 

In as much as the guitar was such an integral part of my first mission, I think I'll take another with me.  Since it has been 20 years since I have played, I'll have to brush up a bit.


Our first P-day was today.  We were up at 6:00 a.m. because I always awake before 6:00 a.m.  It has been years since I was a boy milking cows, but that has been the way since then.  We hustled to the MTC for breakfast and the first thing we noticed was the parking lot where the senior couples park. It was empty.  Most of our associates of the past week are now on their way to their assignments.  There are a handful of us to learn about the CES program and we will be away on Wednesday.

Diane had a hand full of family cards that needed sealing.  We attended the Mt. Timpanogos temple to do those sealings.  On the way out of the temple, we noticed a party taking wedding pictures.  The groom was a young white man.  His bride was a beautiful black woman from Ghana.  Her family, and his family were inter-mingling and becoming acquainted.  Those from Ghana were spectacular in their colorful dresses, ties and even a couple of suits in a tunic style.  They were all beautiful. 

Mother wasn't feeling well enough to go with us to the temple.  We did stop by to visit with a bit of fruit we picked up at a fruit stand.  She asked for a son's Priesthood Blessing before I left.  What an honor to bless my Mother with the wonderful gift of a Priesthood blessing using the Priesthood I have been trusted with. 

After a lunch at Kneaders, we returned to our apartment for a nap.  Next up...the laundry.  We decided to do it here in the hotel as the laundry at the MTC is so big, so noisy, and so humid. 

Meals at the MTC are exciting.  I am so impressed with the army of beautiful, dedicated and righteous young people coming, forming lines, piling on the food, pausing to give thanks, and then excitedly visiting as they eat.  We were waiting in a long line to place our used trays and utensils on the dirty dishes belt.  A couple of sisters approached us and asked if they could take our trays for us and wait in line in our place so we could go.  I believe the world is in for a treat with this generation of our Father-In-Heaven's Children.

5 comments:

  1. It's hard to believe you have been in the MTC for a week already. Sounds like you are having a great time! Keep up the great work! Thank you for the sacrifices you are making and the wonderful example you are being for us and our children. We love you!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad to be able to enjoy your experiences as you embark on this great mission. You are an awesome couple and Juneau is in for a great treat.

      Love,
      Karen

      Delete
  2. Thanks for letting us live vicariously through you! I am so glad you bought the guitar, Dad. What a great idea. I am so proud of both of you...I have been telling everyone I know about what you are doing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love hearing of all the amazing examples of service that the young missionaries do... There IS hope in this world of a righteous generation!
    I second what Amy B said about being such a great example for our children, and what Amy J said about taking the guitar - it ought to be fun and uplifting to play on your mission. (maybe you oughta pick up some handbells too - start an eskimo handbell group?!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. We ran into a couple here at Island Park from Alaska, (older couple) I could tell they were LDS and told them of your venture that direction. They said that they work somewhat with the missionaries and tld me they would watch for you.

    ReplyDelete