Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Training

Sister Beesley & President Beesley called us on Sunday.  She asked if either of us had participated in a Trek experience.  Thankfully, I had that great experience while being in the bishopric of the Old Mission Ward in Sandy.  She asked if I could call the zone leaders who are working here in Juneau and meet with them.  We are having a mission zone conference next week.  She asked if I would tell them my experiences on Trek and what each activity represented and what could be learned from it. 

I texted Pat Harker, my Trek sister from Old Mission Ward.  I listed the things I remembered and asked if she could add to that.  She responded with some wonderful things that I had forgotten from the first day of our Trek. 

I had Elder Satini and Elder Martinez over to the apartment yesterday morning.  They had Elder Gardner with them.  He is waiting for a new companion to join him and then they will go to their new area.  As these elders sat on our couch I related to them the many experiences we had back in the 1980s as we pushed heavy handcarts around the Wasatch Mountains around Strawberry resevoir.  With each activity I would ask these elders why they thought we were given that experience, what did it represent in pioneer times, and how could it apply to our missionary work. 

I hope they are able to now plan zone conference and that I gave them what Sister and Pres. Beesley wanted. 

We have a handicapped seminary student.  In addition to those trials, he has a serious cancerous tumor.  We haven't met him yet, but we have been trying.  We want to visit with the parents and see how we can help provide him a meaningful seminary experience.  We'll keep trying.

I took my computer over to the church and hooked it up to the TV to see if I could turn on the right buttons to make it work.  Thankfully, the stake media person was in the building and helped me. 

Last evening we again met at the church with Mike and Heidi Malin.  They are our new Freshman seminary teachers.  They are newly married and very anxious to be involved this way.  It was fun to watch their enthusiasm, from cleaning their new desks to watching as we went over the S & I web site helps for teachers.

I also purchased two round trip tickets to Sitka on the Alaska Marine Highway system.  We will be going over one day and returning the next.  Our purpose will be to visit with that seminary teacher in the Sitka branch.  Sister Schlecter will be with us and we will watch her do some in-service with that teacher.

No comments:

Post a Comment