Tuesday, September 4, 2012

First Day of Early Morning Seminary

There is a lot of time spent preparing lessons.  Diane spends a lot of time doing records and organizing the administrative items. 

For the Labor Day Holiday we did go for a walk and stopped into the Breezie for a pastry to celebrate.  I'm probably a bit paranoid about the bears.  We don't see them often, but there was a black sow and her two cubs in the church parking lot on Sunday evening. 

Last evening we had our YSA family home evening.  Sister Olsen had the lesson and she introduced a way to memorize a scripture and remember it that was a lot of fun.  We divided into small groups of 4.  We would each say a word until the scripture was completed and then do it again.  It worked for me as we learned that way.

One of the kids I was looking forward to getting to know is Tuavao Ma'ake.  He is a returned missionary.  He served in Guatamala.  He is leaving today for BYU Idaho.  We are losing several to Rexburg this week.  He is a stalwart.

It was barely light when our alarms went off at 5:00 a.m. this morning.  I showered and did my "pretty up" first.  Diane then had her turn.  How spoiled we have been with three bathrooms at home.  Diane grabbed a bite to eat but I checked the Facebook.  We then drove to the church in the drizzling rain to open the building.  Brother Mikesell had beaten us to it.  The teachers came in by 15 minutes after 6:00 a.m.  We had a short prayer meeting where we had a prayer and I had them review Matthew 5: 14-16.  We repeated it together in unison.  We do this because of the Scripture Mastery Program in the CES.  There are 25 essential scriptures for each of the Standard Works. 

The doors soon began to open as the students excitedly came to their first day of seminary.  Some looked sleepy.  All looked anxious, either in a happy way or in a worried way.  There were a few late comers.  We tried to greet as many as possible as they entered. 

This is a challenging thing for the parents as well.  Many waited in their vehicles for the 50 minute class to conclude.  Some napped and some were reading.  They would then take their early morning religion scholars to school.  One father was surfing the internet in the church hallway as he waited for his son and two others that were car-pooling together.

We returned to the apartment about 8:00 a.m. and I fixed my bowl of Rice Chex with fruit.  I am enjoying this experience.  Diane and I are spending a lot of time together, more than we have ever done in our married life.  I find I am bearing my testimony often.  I am lifting and encouraging a lot as well.  It is a good mission so far.

No comments:

Post a Comment