Thursday, September 27, 2012

Learning from the Sermon on the Mount

Our smallest attendance at Institute was last evening.  And we had three attend that we hadn't seen before.  This is very typical here in Juneau.  We had 12 YSA and a married couple, two members of the branch presidency and their wives and even a high school senior that wanted to come.

We were able to discuss the tremendous call of an Apostle, a priesthood holder, with a sure testimony of Jesus Christ, who is asked to witness that knowledge to the world.  I still recall being in the Tabernacle, in the choir seats, the day Elder Bruce R. McKonkie bore his final testimony in conference.  He passed away a few months later.  He said that though he would kneel at the feet of the Savior, and wash his feet with his tears of gratitude, yet he would still know no more surely then, than he does now, that Jesus Christ is the Son of God, the Savior of the World.  His testimony has filled my soul with strength and courage, and it still does as I continue to build and strengthen my testimony. 

It is always a treat to discuss the pattern for how we should live our lives.  It is a wonderful pattern for working toward perfection...The Sermon on the Mount. 

As we discussed the portion of the Beatitudes where Jesus says, If thine eye offend thee, pluck it out,  or if thy hand offend thee, cut it off, there was a little confusion.   They weren't sure if this was literal or if it was an anology of something else.  Those with not as much understanding came to understand the application of this gospel principle when I was moved to talk about my childhood friend.  I spent my entire youth with him in all of our activities; church, school, scouting, sports and just hanging out.  But when we became seniors, this wonderful friend started making choices with some other friends. Their behaviors were those that I had been taught my entire life were to be avoided.  I made the choice to 'sever' most of my association with him.  In other words, my best friend, my right hand man, had to be cut off.  I told of meeting this friend 35 years later.  And of the wonderful hug of friendship we shared.  And I found myself weeping like a rusty pump.  I have discovered this loss in my youth still rests heavy on my heart.

I've actually, for the most part, been able to speak of tender things without getting weepy.  I'm getting better.

Diane spent the afternoon fixing chocolate chip cookies.  She also mixed up a chicken salad filler for wonderful flakey crescent rolls.  Our daughter Tiffany gave her the recipe.  There was cut up fruit as well. The kids loved it.  The adults did as well.

Today is Diane's birthday.  She has hung a Happy Birthday banner in the kitchen.  I have vacumed up the confetti that fell out of the package that Tiff sent with along with a puzzle. 

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing your experiences. I always look forward to reading about them. I should have thought, like Tiffany, to send a puzzle! Where have I been?

    ReplyDelete